Offering a natural perspective along with a fast maximum aperture, the Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Lens is a versatile normal–length prime characterized by its bright f/1.4 aperture to suit working in low-light conditions and for producing shallow depth of field imagery. This lens also features a Gaussian optics design, along with two high refractive index elements, to control spherical aberrations and distortion for high sharpness and clarity. A Super Spectra coating has also been applied to suppress flare and ghosting for improved contrast and color accuracy when working in difficult lighting conditions. Complementing the optical design of the Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Lens is a micro USM, which enables quick and quiet autofocus performance along with full-time manual focus control.
- Normal prime is designed for full-frame Canon EF-mount DSLRs, however can also be used with APS-C models where it provides an 80mm equivalent focal length.
- Bright f/1.4 maximum aperture suits working in low-light conditions and also affords great control over depth of field for isolating subjects and using selective focus techniques.
- Gaussian optics design, which includes two high refractive index elements, notably reduces distortion and spherical aberrations for high sharpness and accurate rendering.
- Super Spectra coating has been applied to individual elements to minimize ghosting and flare for greater contrast and color neutrality when working in strong lighting conditions.
- A micro Ultrasonic Motor (USM) is employed to deliver fast, precise, and quiet autofocus performance as well as full-time manual focus override.
- Rounded eight-blade diaphragm contributes to a pleasing out of focus quality that benefits the use of shallow depth of field and selective focus techniques