Prized for portraiture, the Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Lens is a short–telephoto prime characterized by its slightly compressed perspective for achieving flattering results. Its bright f/1.8 maximum aperture also enables isolating subjects and working with shallow depth of field techniques, and further benefits working in low-light conditions. Helping to achieve high color fidelity and contrast, a Super Spectra coating has been applied to individual elements and serves to minimize reflections, lens flare and ghosting. Additionally, a ring-type USM is employed on the Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Lens to deliver quick and quiet auto focus performance along with full-time manual focus control.
- Short-telephoto, portrait-length prime is designed for full-frame Canon EF-mount DSLRs, however can also be used with APS-C models where it provides a 136mm equivalent focal length.
- Bright f/1.8 maximum aperture benefits working in low-light conditions and also affords greater control over depth of field for working with selective focus techniques.
- Super Spectra coating has been applied to individual elements to minimize ghosting and flare for greater contrast and color neutrality when working in strong lighting conditions.
- A ring-type Ultrasonic Motor (USM) is employed to deliver fast, precise, and quiet autofocus performance as well as full-time manual focus override. Additionally, the front of the lens does not rotate during focusing to better permit working with polarizing and graduated filter types.
- Rounded eight-blade diaphragm contributes to a pleasing out of focus quality that benefits the use of shallow depth of field and selective focus techniques.