An ideal portrait-length prime, the Sony FE 85mm f/1.8 is a sleek short-telephoto lens designed for full-frame E-mount mirrorless cameras. The bright f/1.8 maximum aperture benefits this lens’s use in low-light conditions and also affords extensive control over depth of field when working with selective focus techniques. The nine elements, eight groups lens construction includes one extra-low dispersion element to minimize chromatic aberrations and color fringing for greater clarity and color accuracy. Benefitting the optical design is a simple, intuitive physical layout that incorporates a customizable focus hold button and a physical AF/MF switch. The double linear AF motor itself affords quick, quiet, and smooth focusing performance, and this motor also offers snappy manual focus performance for fine-tuned control. Finally, the lens is designed to be dust- and moisture-resistant for increased protection.
- Prime portrait-length lens is designed for full-frame Sony E-mount mirrorless cameras, however can also be used on APS-C models where it will provide a 127.5mm equivalent focal length.
- Bright f/1.8 maximum aperture allows for fine-tuned control over depth of field and also benefits working in difficult lighting conditions.
- One extra-low dispersion element is featured in the optical design and helps to limit color fringing and chromatic aberrations for heightened image clarity and color accuracy.
- Double linear autofocus motor delivers smooth, precise, and near silent focusing performance to benefit both stills and video applications.
- The focus hold button on the lens barrel can be used to hold the focusing position, or can be set in-camera to control a variety of additional lens functions. Also, the lens has an AF/MF switch for tactile control over the focus mode.
- Rounded nine-blade diaphragm contributes to a pleasing bokeh quality when employing selective focus techniques.
- Dust- and moisture-resistant design for increased protection to the elements.